By Kathy McCain, Ad Verification Manager of Private Seller Advertising
Things to consider to remain safe online.
Phishing is a way of attempting to gain your personal information, such as user names, passwords and credit card information. Emails purporting to come from legitimate businesses are commonly used to lure unsuspecting customers. Phishing targets customers by sending a legitimate looking email that will direct you to click on a link within the email to enter your personal information. Many times the persons behind this type of fraud will attempt to cause alarm by either stating your account has been frozen, there was a problem with your billing, or claim that your account was recently accessed or used for fraud. Read tips for safe online activity here.
You can stay safe online from phishers by following these simple rules:
Passwords, PINs, and Usernames
• Never give out your usernames, passwords, or PINs to anyone.
• Always make sure they are a combination of letters and numbers.
• Change them as frequently as you can, and don’t use the same pins or password for different accounts.
• REMEMBER – Traderonline (or its affiliated websites) will NEVER ask for your password or PIN.
• Do NOT click on links within an email. INSTEAD go directly to the website by typing in the URL in your browser as you normally would.
• Check the “FROM” address listed on the email claiming to come from TraderOnline; does it match the address of your Confirmation Email or Contact Seller email address?
If you receive a suspect email or response from your advertisement or email seller inquiry, please forward to [email protected]. For more information about protecting yourself online as a buyer or seller, please visit the TraderOnline.com Security Center.
Example of Phishing Email:
From: Cycle Trader [email protected]
Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Subject: Action Required
Dear valued customer,
CycleTrader temporarily suspended your account.
Reason: Billing failure.
We must properly verify your CycleTrader again
Tips to unlocking your account – It’s Easy
Here’s how you get started:
1. Log into [There will be a link here that takes you to a fraudulent / copied site that looks legitimate]
2. Follow the steps to update your personal records and you will not run
into further problems with your online service.
3. Once you have completed these steps, we will send you an email notifying
that your account is active.
4. Please allow three (3) business days for processing.
Note: please do not reply to this email.
This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response
We hope these tips have been helpful and that you keep them in mind each time you list a bike or make a purchase on CycleTrader.com.