The Velocette LE was a motorcycle made by Velocette from 1948 to 1970. The designation LE stood for "little engine". Used by over fifty British Police forces, the police riders became known as "Noddies" because they were required to nod to senior officers, and the LE was nicknamed "the Noddy Bike". Production ended in 1970, this is LE is the last of the "Noddy Bikes".The Velocette LE was launched at the British International Motor Show at Earls Court in 1948 as the "Motorcycle for Everyman". With a 149 cc four-stroke, side-valve, water-cooled, horizontally opposed twin-cylinder engine, the LE also had a radiator and was fitted with coil ignition to help starting. The hand change three-speed gearbox, engine and clutch were contained in special castings, and final drive was by a shaft mounted in a swing frame with adjustable suspension. Aluminium leg shields were designed to keep the rain off, and footboards gave it a scooter feel. The only instrument was a speedometer. To reduce noise and vibration the pressed aluminium frame was lined with soundproofing felt. The water-cooled engine was well silenced, and riders reported that sometimes they only knew the engine was running by checking the ignition light. Carrying capacity was boosted by quickly detachable panniers and a glove compartment in front of the petrol tank. All this made the MkI LE expensive, however, at £126 compared with the BSA Bantam at £76In 1958, Velocette launched the Mk III LE with a foot operated gear change and a conventional kick start. An extra gear was added, together with 18-inch-diameter (460 mm) wheels. The instrumentation was relocated to the head lamp, and the petrol capacity was increased from a meagre 1.25 to 1.62 imperial gallons (5.7 to 7.4 l; 1.50 to 1.95 US gal). With ten years' development, the Velocette LE was more reliable and practical, but on 3 February 1971, the company went into voluntary liquidation. The very last motorcycles made in the Veloce factory were LEs. Production of other motorcycles had been delayed or cancelled to produce the LE in various forms, and the lucrative police orders had dried up with the introduction of the "panda car" for patrol use by most forces. Kent County Constabulary purchased the remaining spare parts and were able to keep LEs running until 1974.This Velocette LE is in excellent running condition, It recently took 2nd place in the Hilton Head Concours. Call John for more details, 770 447 6945 x 20.